Mercury Mine Elementary School launched the Core Knowledge® academic curriculum in 2012.
What Is Core Knowledge?
- A detailed framework of specific content
- Sequenced learning from grade to grade
- Based on current educational research
- A coherent foundation for learning
- Produces cultural literacy
- Motivational for learners
Why Teach Core Knowledge?
- Increases student understanding
- Promotes excellence and fairness
- Eliminates gaps and repetition
- Integrates technology
- Includes diverse perspectives
- Increases critical thinking
Background of Core Knowledge
The Core Knowledge Sequence was developed through rigorous research by the non-profit Core Knowledge Foundation. The founder, Dr. E.D. Hirsch, author of Cultural Literacy, led research into the content and structure of successful school curricula around the world.
- International curricula
- National standards
- State and district standards
- Field testing
- Curriculum advisors
- Multicultural experts
- On-going revisions
You may contact the Core Knowledge Foundation by calling 1-800-238-3233.
There are many resources available at the public library that can enrich student learning.
- Books to Build On: A Grade-by-Grade Resource Guide For Parents and Teachers
- Core Classics: Illustrated literary classics for young readers
- Core Knowledge Preschool Sequence
- Book series entitled What Your Kindergarten-Sixth Grader Needs to Know